Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Customer Service

During my one and half month long stay in Nepal, I somehow used wrong pin-code more than 3 times to log in my online bank account (ABN-AMRO) from Nepal. After that my account got blocked which means I could not use my ATM card as well as online account. So, I went to the bank as soon as I got back from Nepal in September first week to unblock my bank account and to have a new pincode (since I forgot it after staying in Nepal for around 45 days. It happens when you have Research Paper (RP) Pressure :))

I told the staff that I forgot my pin-code and I wanted to have a new pin-code. After going through the ABN AMRO process with my passport and residence permit stuff and system, the staff told me that I would get a mail in my pigeon hole (my university mail box) after few days. I waited for a week and I received nothing in my pigeon hole. So, I had to go back to the bank the next week since I needed some money and also, wanted to inquire about my pin-code. (You won't see the same staff at the helping desk of ABN Amro all the time. They keep rotating. Every time you see a new face.) After I explained my problem, the lady looked at my account and told me that there was nothing in the system. I asked, "So I was waiting nothing?" Her answer was "I don't know, we don't have anything in our system. Do you know who worked with you last week? And I don't know what my colleague did for you." It was not professional at all. I was about to say, "The beautiful lady with two eyes and a nose worked on it and I forgot to ask her name." (You have to know who you talked to and you better know her/his name!!!) She also told me that I would not be able to withdraw any money unless I order a new ATM card though I have my old card with me (Or else I would be waiting for nothing!!!). Either I had to order a new card or I had to remember my old pin-code -that were the options that I was given. Since I did lose my second option along with my field work in Nepal and RP thing and I was in real need of money, I was obliged to order a new card despite having old card with me.

I got two letters in my mail box some days later and went to the bank to activate my new card. (You always have to carry passport and residence permit when you go to ABN AMRO.) I was bit relaxed to get new card and met the helping desk guy (not those two ladies). He did photocopies of my passport and residence permit and then handed over a new card and told me that the same old pin-code works. The reason I went to ABN AMRO was because I forgot the pin-code and the guys told me again that the same old pin-code is still working. Now I have two AMB AMRO cards though I have the same amount of money in my account (Money does not increase with the increment of cards!!). Then I had to tell him the whole story again. He still tried to convince me that the same old pincode works. "Try to remember," he said. One more time, we tried my old + new cards at ATM machine inside ABN Amro with the pin code that I thought was right just to assure him that it does not work.

Now, you have to order another card. (What the hell? So I am going to get another card? Unbelievable!!! I will have three then (not to mention the one that I lost in Spain). "My colleague should not have just ordered the new card. Now, I can not help you out with this card. You have to order another card."

"How can I be sure that next time I do not have to order the fourth card? Can you guarantee that?"

"No no, I will make sure it won't happen this time. And this time you will not be charged for this," the guy told me showing his computer screen. (They charged me 7.5 Euro for ordering the previoius card)

"Then did you understand what my problem is?"

"Yes, I understand what you are saying. Don't worry!!!"

So, I waiting for the third ABN AMRO ATM CARD with those two lovely ATM cards in my pocket with which I can not do anything. Hopefully, I won't have to order the fourth card.
                                                                                                                                        September 2010
(Note: ABN Amro is one of the banks in the Netherlands)

No comments: