Popular Posts

Monday, October 10, 2005

Unborn Article

Ramesh Deshar (CIEP student)
I really love to jot down something when ever I get leisure time. For me a pen and a sheet of paper are my real friends. Expressing my own opinions in a sheet of paper is a kind of pleasure for me. This habit encouraged me to write articles for some newspapers in my home country, Nepal. I still remember that day when my first article was published in one of the daily newspapers. That was a memorable day in my life and I can visualize that blissful moment. I have been here for three weeks in Iowa (and even in UnitedState). Within these few weeks, I have thought about many subjects and topics for the articles. They are all whirling in my mind trying to get their way out. The long and hectic journey from Nepal to U.S and the unusual American food, chilling cold weather (weeks ago) are some of my topics. Besides that I have lots of other topics. The systematic service of the dinning centers, outstanding education system of UNI, polite behavior of the teachers and professors at CIEP, helpfulness of colleagues could be my other topics. Besides that I could start from my own home country, too. The political unrest and the ongoing crises in my country could attract the attention of the readers. Another topic could be Terri Schiavo,who is the main issue of discussion and news of most of the newspapers during these days. I could start writing against terrorism as the whole world is gripped by the terror. Simultaneously I could include an emotion of American megastar Bob Dylan’s song, “Blowing in the wind.”
“How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, and how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?

Yes, and how many deaths will it take
Till he knows that too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind,
The answer is blowing in the wind.”
Yes, actually many innocent people have lost their lives in the world although they have nothing to do with the ongoing power struggle. Everyday the stories of cruelty, brutality, barbarity, savageness, mayhem, chaos fill the pages of newspapers, T.V channels and minds of people. Every day people are traumatized. So this could be my poignant topic. I was trying to find a platform to express my opinions. And I got the information that “The Northern Iowan” comes every Tuesday and Friday. I was quite happy with that message because at least I knew the name of a newspaper which is published at UNI. During these few weeks I did not miss any issue of “The NorthernIowan.” I read most of the articles especially the Editorial page with various opinions from different writers. On Tuesday (29th March) I got chance to read some of the articles (opinions) which were fascinating. “A columnist’s job is never done” by MATT MUSGRAVE was nice and it really moved me. “Who are we fighting now?” (A closer look) by NED KELLY was another bitter reality which talked about American attitude towards the Iraqi combatants (and other countries). These opinions encouraged me to express my opinions in a better way.Then I realized that I was thinking in my own way about my articles which are yet to come putting readers aside. I was in the mood of enthusiasm just thinking upon my uncreated articles. All of a sudden, question arose in my mind. Who reads my article (columns) by including both sense and non sense opinions? WillI be able to draw attention of the readers? I became afraid that the readers would think that I was a lousy writer. I would for ever confound my readers over whether to take my opinions seriously or chunk them in the dustbin. Anyway I came to know that writers have great responsibilities upon the readers. But what ever be the readers’response regarding my article, I think I should try my best for the best article. I should not turn back because I know thousand of miles start with a mile. Never give up hope and never stop trying. I think that’s the way to start. "Better late than never."
(30 th March'05) Cedar Falls, Iowa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but argg it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my message if you do!

I would appreciate if someone here at deshar.blogspot.com could repost it.

Thanks,
Daniel

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have a message for the webmaster/admin here at deshar.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from your post right above if I give a backlink back to your site?

Thanks,
John