Popular Posts

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Memorable Antu


I have had many training that I conducted and facilitated for various target groups in Nepal. Majority of those training took place either in hotels or training centers, mostly in urban areas whether it be in Kathmandu valley or outside. However, training in Antu of Ilam was of unique experience in my life. The last time, I was in Antu was in the 2009 with friends working for IOM Nepal. After 4 years, I had an opportunity to be at Antu danda of Ilam for a mediation training in February 2014. When I first heard from our partner organization Human Rights Forum (HURF)'s decision to conduct a week long residential training at Antu, I took it as a light joke. I wasn't sure whether it would work or not. I was also worried about the cold and chilly weather there. Not seeing any bigger concrete hotel during my first visit to Antu, I thought it would be really difficult to conduct any sort of training in a place like Antu. The training in Antu changed my perception taught me a lesson that small and basic home stay programs can be far more better than those fancy concrete business oriented hotels. It was way better than I thought and it turned out to be the best training so far in my life.

 Antu is famous for its natural beauty. The sloppy mountain landscape with tea gardens add value to its beauty. On the other hand, the romantic view of sunrise can be seen in the morning from Antu danda. Therefore, the place is famous for home stay. Lots of people go there during September-November season to see the beautiful view of sunrise. Antu danda (and not shree antu) lies in Samalbung village development committee. Shree Antu is the name of another VDC which neighbors with Samalbung. Therefore, many people think that Antu danda lies in Shree Antu VDC. To the east of Antu is Mirik (Indian territory).

We all went to the top of Antu danda which was about 10 minutes walking distance from the Shree Antu Home Stay, where we stayed for a week. We reached there before six o' clock in the morning.







I did not have an idea that these green branches from pine trees are highly inflammable. We were all really feeling cold since it was quite early in the morning. Therefore, some friends brought twigs and branches of pine trees. I really wondered why they brought them. Soon, they put them on fire and they started burning so fast. Really amazing! I never thought that it would burn so easily and quickly. They told me that the pine trees are really dry and easy to get caught on fire. Some locals shared that Antu danda some 35 years ago was just a mountain where domestic animals  used to graze. There used to be a small pond on the top of Antu dada with water where those domesticated animals used to drink water. The pine trees were planted during Panchayat era. Soon after the plantation of pine trees, the water resources dried since the pine trees are good absorber of water.


Though we waited for long, we could not see the clear sunrise because of the foggy weather. According to our local colleagues, one could see the Indian territory (Mirik) down the mountain on the other side of Antu with bright electricity lights early in the morning and then the sun slowly rises above the mountain.








This is the house, where all participants (20) stayed for 6 days for the mediation training.

Night view of the house. Good part of the stay was that the village is free from load shedding.





Participants engaged in an activity



No comments: